Mastering the Art of Profit: A Complete Guide to Selling Tumblers
If you’re thinking about starting a tumbler business, it’s crucial to understand its potential profitability. The Container Recycling Institute reports that over 15 billion disposable cups are used annually in the United States alone. Discover the right approach to making money by selling tumblers. Many of these cups, primarily made from non-recyclable materials like plastic or styrofoam, end up in landfills or, worse, in oceans. This is where reusable tumblers come into play, gaining popularity for their role in reducing pollution and preventing waste from harming our ecosystem. Explore our step-by-step guide below on selling glitter tumblers and find out if a tumbler business is a worthwhile venture.
Tumblers are versatile, suitable for holding various beverages such as water, coffee, tea, wine, and cocktails. What sets them apart from standard mugs or cups is the vacuum insulation, ensuring that drinks stay hot or cold for extended periods. According to Hillary LaMont, the product marketing manager at RTIC Outdoors, vacuum insulation is the most effective way to maintain beverage temperature. A key strategy for success in this business is to offer customization options from the start. People love personalized items that cater to their preferences. This article aims to provide a detailed guide to help your tumbler business not only succeed but also stand out in a competitive market.
What Is a Tumbler?
A tumbler is a specific type of container designed for holding liquids such as water or juice. Typically made from glass or plastic, most tumblers are equipped with a handle and a screw-on lid.
What Is The Difference Between a Tumbler vs. Travel Mug?
A tumbler and a travel mug differ primarily in size. Travel mugs are typically compact, fitting in the palm of your hand, while tumblers tend to be larger. The key advantage of tumblers lies in their capacity, as they can hold more liquid than travel mugs. This makes them well-suited for individuals who consume larger quantities of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. Tumblers also have the advantage of weight; they are heavier than travel mugs due to their thicker construction and robust materials such as stainless steel or plastic, sometimes a combination of both. This increased weight contributes to their durability and makes them easier to carry. Additionally, tumblers often offer better value for money as they are generally less expensive than travel mugs.
Can You Make Money Selling Tumblers?
The potential profit in your tumbler business depends on various factors, but following some basic guidelines can help you earn around $10 or more per hour. Let’s break down the potential earnings and factors to consider. For instance, if you invest $100 in starting your tumbler business and sell 20 oz cups for $5 each, selling approximately 190 cups per week at this price point could be achievable. If the production cost for each cup is $4, then your total cost for producing 190 cups would be $168. This results in a weekly profit of approximately $22 (calculated as 190 x $5 – $168). This calculation accounts for potential profits, leaving room for marketing and promotion expenses, which we’ll delve into later. It serves as a foundational understanding of the profitability of your venture. Now, let’s consider other factors that may influence your ability to effectively market and sell these products: On average, the cost of a tumbler for a vendor ranges from $3 to $8, depending on where you get your mugs created and printed. Platforms like Printful offer tumbler creation and dropshipping services, simplifying the production process for you.
Why Do People Buy Tumblers?
People choose to buy tumblers for various reasons, including but not limited to:
- Durability: Tumblers are known for their sturdiness and durability, making them an appealing choice for those seeking a long-lasting drinking container.
- Portability: Tumblers are convenient for travel, equipped with features like lids and straws that make them easy to carry on the go.
- Insulation: Many tumblers come with insulation, keeping drinks cold or hot for extended periods compared to regular drinking glasses. This feature adds to their practicality.
- Style: Tumblers often come in a variety of styles, colors, and designs, making them a popular choice for individuals who appreciate a stylish and personalized drinking container. The aesthetic appeal adds an element of personalization to the drinking experience.
How to Make Money Selling Tumblers Online
The typical price for a tumbler is around $10, with an average monthly sales range of two to three items. Assuming an average profit of $6 per sale, selling one item each day could result in earnings of approximately $120 to $180 per month. If you manage to sell more than one item daily, your income could be even higher. This level of income could be considered part-time work, akin to someone owning a small business and enjoying the benefits of passive income from tumbler sales. To successfully make money selling tumblers, it’s crucial to work diligently and invest in the right equipment. Finding a reliable supplier offering high-quality products at affordable prices is essential to avoid frequent and costly repairs. Ensuring the excellence of your products before putting them up for sale is paramount, as customer satisfaction is key. Make sure everything is in proper working order before launching your new business venture. A valuable tip for boosting sales is to launch your products on multiple platforms such as Etsy, TPT, and Shopify. This strategy provides increased exposure and enhances the chances of higher sales. If you’re interested in starting a tumbler business, consider the following steps:
- Research and plan the business thoroughly.
- Identify a reliable supplier for high-quality yet affordable products.
- Ensure the functionality and quality of your tumblers before selling.
- Utilize multiple platforms for product launches to maximize exposure and sales potential.
Starting a tumbler business may require initial investments, and the revenue potential depends on various factors. Careful planning, quality products, and effective marketing can contribute to the success of your venture.
What Do I Need to Start Making Tumblers?
To create your tumblers, you’ll need specific materials to kick-start your process. Here are some essential supplies commonly found in every tumbler creator’s workshop:
Main Body Material: Stainless steel, plastic, or glass for the main body of the tumbler (preferably double-walled for insulation).
Adhesive or Bonding Agent: Epoxy resin or a similar bonding agent to securely attach the various parts of the tumbler.
Lid and Straw: If applicable, a lid and straw to complement the design and functionality of the tumbler.
Decorative Elements: Stickers, decals, glitter, or paint for adding personalized and decorative touches to the tumbler.
Insulation Materials: Foam or vacuum-sealed layers to enhance the insulation properties of the tumbler.
Tools: Drill, hole saw, sanding block, alcohol, or heat gun for creating openings, shapes, or designs on the tumbler.
Protective Equipment: Gloves, safety glasses, and a respiratory mask to ensure safe handling of materials and tools. The quantity of materials required may vary based on your tumbler design. However, these are the fundamental materials needed to initiate your tumbler-making business.
Understanding the Tumbler Business
In the tumbler business, staying attuned to demand and trends is pivotal to navigating the landscape and maximizing your earnings. With constant innovations in designs and materials, it’s essential to be well-versed in current market preferences. As you embark on your tumbler-selling journey, thorough research into popular styles, colors, and features sought by customers is crucial. Staying abreast of the latest trends ensures that your products remain attractive and have the potential to generate sales, thereby facilitating your success in making money selling tumblers. It’s important to recognize that trends may experience fluctuations in popularity during the forecast period. Additionally, seasonal variations can impact the demand for specific tumbler styles and designs. Regularly monitor your sales performance and be ready to adapt your offerings to align with evolving market demands, thereby sustaining your competitive position in the industry.
To make your tumblers stand out and capture the attention of potential customers, exploring various customization options is key. This not only adds value to your products but also allows buyers to find a tumbler that aligns with their personal style. Consider the following customization options:
Custom Tumblers: Infuse your tumblers with uniqueness by incorporating your own exclusive designs. Use vibrant colors, patterns, or personalized text to create a statement piece.
Vinyl Wraps: Vinyl wraps offer an excellent way to add intricate detailing or vibrant colors to your tumblers. They provide a long-lasting and professional finish, showcasing your creative skills effectively.
Glitter Tumblers: Appeal to those who appreciate glamour or a touch of sparkle by creating glitter tumblers. Experiment with different glitters, techniques, and finishes to achieve captivating and eye-catching designs.
20-Ounce Tumblers: Cater to a broad audience by offering your custom designs on 20-ounce tumblers. This size is popular for its comfortable, everyday use and decent capacity. When selling your custom tumblers, it’s crucial to strike the right balance. Provide a diverse range of materials, styles, and customization options while ensuring a focus on durability and high quality. This approach ensures that people not only enjoy using your tumblers but also take pride in showcasing them to others.
How to Do Research for Your Tumbler Business
Successfully selling tumblers online requires thorough research to make informed decisions. Here are key steps to guide your research process:
Define Key Research Questions: Identify crucial questions about your target market, including preferences, needs, and popular tumbler designs and materials.
Gather Market Information: Collect data on competitors, market size, and industry trends from reliable sources.
Analyze Target Audience: Understand your ideal customer by gathering feedback through surveys, focus groups, or online tools.
Research Suppliers: Explore various suppliers and manufacturers, comparing prices, quality, and shipping times to find the best options for your business.
Evaluate Costs: Analyze the cost of materials, production, shipping, and marketing. Compare these costs with competitors’ prices to determine a competitive pricing strategy.
Testing Prototypes: Don’t skip the testing phase. Create prototypes of your tumblers and gather feedback from your target audience. Assess the design, functionality, and overall appeal of your product. Conducting thorough research is a foundational step that sets the stage for a successful tumbler-selling venture. It helps you understand your market, competitors, and customer preferences, enabling you to make informed decisions and stay ahead in the online marketplace.
How to Do Research for Your Tumbler Business
To make your tumbler business a success, effective marketing is crucial. Here are various ways to market your tumblers online: Social Media:
- Leverage platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to interact with customers, gather feedback, and build brand awareness.
- Utilize Facebook ads to promote tumblers.
- Share related content, such as articles about coffee cups.
- Host contests to engage and reward your social media followers.
- Leverage Instagram’s large user base for brand building.
- Utilize its high engagement rate to gather feedback effortlessly.
- Use Instagram to post photos, videos, and share articles to enhance marketing efforts.
- Explore Facebook Marketplace as a platform to sell your tumblers.
- Create a listing by using the app and your Facebook account.
- Include clear photos showcasing your tumbler designs.
- Utilize Pinterest’s visual nature for effective marketing.
- Create an account to find new customers, influencers, and content ideas.
- Drive traffic back to your website through visually appealing pins.
- Create and share high-quality content to attract and retain customers.
- Use various forms of content, such as videos, blog posts, and infographics.
- Utilize content marketing to increase brand awareness and build trust.
- Start a blog to connect with customers and build trust.
- Regularly publish unique content to establish your brand.
- Use blogging to improve your website’s search engine ranking.
- Engage with your audience in real time using Facebook Live.
- Plan ahead and be prepared for unexpected situations.
- Experiment with different angles and incorporate fun elements to keep viewers engaged.
- Create YouTube videos to promote your tumbler business.
- Develop a script and storyboard for your video.
- Find someone to shoot and edit the video before publishing on YouTube.
Implementing these marketing strategies will enhance your online presence, engage customers, and ultimately contribute to the success of your tumbler business.