Adobe Illustrator vs. Photoshop: Why and When to Use Each Program
You might be confused by the differences between Illustrator and Photoshop. It can be difficult to distinguish between the two programs, especially if you’re new to the industry. Both Photoshop and Illustrator are very popular software that is essential graphics design software. Let me now end all the debate about Adobe Illustrator vs Adobe Photoshop. You can read the catch to see what I mean.
What is Adobe Illustrator?
Adobe Illustrator is a vector-based editing program that can create logos and graphics as well as cartoons and fonts. Illustrator is a vector-based editing program that uses mathematical constructs instead of Photoshop’s pixel-based format. What is a vector in Illustrator A vector is a line made up of two dots that are connected by a computer algorithm. It’s not a single line of pixels. Vectors are used a lot in Illustrator to create logos and other items that can be printed or displayed at different sizes. The pros of Adobe Illustrator Software
- No matter how large or small the vector graphic is, it will not lose its quality.
- Illustrator is not dependent on resolution and will give you a higher print output.
Cons of Adobe Illustrator Software
- You can’t use it to edit images already created because there are only a few image editing tools and filters available.
You can check out adobe illustrator by getting a free trial for 7 days
What is Adobe Photoshop?
Adobe Photoshop is the most used program in Adobe. It allows you to modify images and graphics, such as photos. Photoshop has many amazing tools and filters that make editing photos easy. The pros of Adobe Photoshop software
- Because projects are fixed in size, Photoshop is a popular choice for web graphics and photo editing.
- Another benefit to Photoshop is the ability to have total control over your projects. You can edit your graphic pixel by pixel.
Adobe Photoshop software’s cons:
- Photoshop creates bitmap or raster graphics. These graphics can sometimes appear a little jagged because raster images consist of individual colored squares known as pixels. Photoshop is a collection of pixels. If you scale something down or up, it can quickly lose its quality.
Photoshop vs Illustrator: Which one is better?
This type of comparison is one where “why” there’s a difference is more important than “what” is the distinction. The main difference lies in the purpose of both software. This comparison is discussed in greater detail later.
What is Illustrator?
Illustrator is a well-known name in logo software. It’s a vector graphics editor that was originally created and marketed initially by Adobe Inc. for the Apple Macintosh. It has been updated many times since its inception in 1985. Its latest update, which was released in October 2018, is the 23rd generation.
Adobe Illustrator is a sophisticated vector-based editing software that is used to design logos, illustrations, cartoons, and fonts. Unlike Photoshop, which employs a pixel-based format, Illustrator creates vector graphics using mathematical principles. What exactly is a vector in Illustrator? Instead of merely a line of pixels, it’s a line made up of two dots joined by a computer programme. Illustrator is frequently used to create logos or anything that has to be printed or displayed at different sizes due to vectors.
When a vector graphic is scaled up or down, its quality remains constant. Illustrator will also produce better print results because it is not resolution-dependent. Because there are few filters and picture editing tools available, it is difficult to adjust already made images.
What is Photoshop?
Photoshop is not like Illustrator. It’s a raster graphic editor. In 1988, Thomas and John Knoll designed it for Windows and macOS. Its initial release was on February 19, 1990. That’s 29 years ago. In August 2019, CC 2019 was released.
Adobe Photoshop is Adobe’s most popular tool for editing already-created pictures or graphics, such as photos. Photoshop is great for photo editing since it has so many distinct filters, special effects, and tools.Photoshop is also a popular choice for online graphics, photo editing, and design tasks because they are always the same size.
Another significant advantage of Photoshop is that you have complete control over your projects because you can change your graphics pixel-by-pixel. Raster or bitmap graphics are created in Photoshop and can appear jagged at times because raster images are made up of discrete coloured squares known as pixels. Because everything in Photoshop is merely a series of pixels, scaling something up or down can quickly degrade its quality.
Photoshop vs Illustrator: Which one should you use?
As we discussed, there are many differences between the two tools. Therefore, a comparison is necessary. While Photoshop is most commonly and widely used to edit images, Illustrator can be used primarily and widely for image creation. These points will be discussed in detail below.
How to Use Illustrator?
- You can literally create a design or an image by simply using your perception.
- You may need to be more flexible, such as when you create a design.
- Let’s say that you are trying to create a logo from something you just imagined. Illustrator now has many tools and updated features that will help you bring your ideas to life.
- Illustrator is essential software if you are looking to create vector-based projects, such as logos and designs, or other similar work where smooth edges, no resolution issues, zooming capabilities, etc., are required.
- Illustrator is a great tool for creating documents like annual reports and brochures.
- It plugins can transform a blank web page into a stunning web page.
What is the best time to use Photoshop?
- Photoshop is the right tool for you if your primary goals relate to image editing and enhancement. You can use it to enhance your images and create new ones.
- Photoshop offers many new features, which are constantly being added to make it easier to edit any work, other than basic editing.
- If your artwork is pixel-based, or, in other words, if you are using raster graphics, then go for them.
- It can also be used to modify basic vector artworks in addition to raster graphics manipulations.
Assuming you now understand the differences, you can now be confident about their working styles. These two software programs are the talk of town. Amazing features and plugins are the key to the software’s success.
What is the Illustrator vs Photoshop pricing?
Photoshop According to the Photoshop purchase page the standalone Adobe Photoshop application is available for $20.99 per month.
Illustrator Illustrate, a single app is priced at $239.88 per annum according to its official purchasing page.
Photoshop vs Illustrator: What are some of the useful features?
TemplateToaster blog is going to be talking about Illustrator vs Photoshop. This will help you understand their capabilities better. Let’s take a look.
Useful features for Illustrator
- You can scale up or down your work with Illustrator at any stage of your project. You can work at a higher level on your project with Illustrator. Beautifully crafted designs can be a valuable resource for many IT industries. Web design – The best graphical illustrations and representations are able to grab more people.
- Innovate with text, create designs: Yes. The text is more than just text. You can use any style or creativity you like, even the matter. You never know, you might create some amazing textual designs by combining them.
- Dynamic ways of creating: This software gives you many options to work with designs, including the ability to import and give them a retouch with your colors, or to add your own style to the art.
- You can collaborate with other Adobe tools: It is not limited to what you can do within the limits of this software. To achieve more efficient results, combine the functionality of Adobe’s other graphic software such as InDesign, XD and Premiere Pro. You can also see Inkscape and illustrator.
Photoshop features that are useful
- Easy to use: You must be familiar with the popularity of this program. Ever wonder how this software has been so popular? It is easy to use. Photoshop is easy to use for beginners. The rest is up to the imagination of the individual. It can be used by anyone to create anything he desires.
- Amazing editing, incredible transformations: We’ve talked a lot earlier about Illustratrator’s creative capabilities, but photoshop also has amazing potential. Any image can be imported to Photoshop and all the options and tools available can transform it. As if the image was actually created. Adobe Stock Images contains many such examples. stock photo sites are also available.
- Use tools like a paintbrush, markers, and pencils to create clear, smooth illustrations. Although the software’s illustration capabilities are less than Illustrator, an illustration can completely transform your artwork.
- A greater variety of devices covered: With photoshop’s ever-growing popularity, Adobe is working hard to improve its capabilities and provide more functionalities and tools for a wider range of devices. You can create on the move with portable devices like iPad or iPhones.
Photoshop vs Illustrator: What tools and plugins should I use?
Additional plugins give the software an extra edge. We’ll be taking a look at some of the most popular plugins and their functions. It is one of the best logo creators.
What are the plugins and tools of Photoshop vs CorelDraw?
Illustrator 7 was released in 1997 and it first supported plugins. It soon expanded its capabilities with Illustrator 7. Here are some of the top illustrator plugins:
- Astute graphics illustrator bundle plugin: With one package, you have access to all its plugins. This plugin allows you to extend your functionality by adding features like live stipple effect and intuitive vector sketching. You will receive the latest updates free of charge. This plugin is only a one-time fee.
- Cineware This is an excellent tool for product designers as well as users who enjoy 3D experimenting. To adjust elements like view and lighting, you can import any 3D video. This allows you to integrate any 3D component coherently.
- Gold Rush For Illustrator: Are you a designer who enjoys experimenting with your designs? Designers who wish to add a shiny texture to their designs but can’t find a good stock plugin for this purpose will be able to use this plugin. This plugin can be used to give your designs a metallic, glittery texture.
- Fonts: Not satisfied with the stock fonts already available? Make a font from scratch and add a personal touch to your design with this font.
Adobe recommends Illustrator plugins are available on their official website.
The journey of plugins for Photoshop began in 1991. These plugins are a boon to creators who have limitless creativity that can’t be explained by stock plugins. Let’s find out which ones are the most popular and what their additional functions are.
- Pexels Photoshop plugin this plugin will give you access to a large collection of stock photos. You can import them into photoshop, and then you can create effects or tools with them using other plugins or default photoshop.
- Fontself Creator for Photoshop: Just like in photoshop, you can also create your own fonts using photoshop. If you’re looking to add a personal touch to your projects, this plugin lets you customize and create your fonts.
- Chameleon adaptive palette: Another important photoshop plugin. The name of the palette indicates that the colors in this palette are affected by the color you choose. This plugin is very useful for designers and artists working with duotone-based graphic projects.
- Aurora HDR’19: This plugin is designed to improve the resolution and quality of any photo or video that’s being edited in Photoshop. This plugin is for HDR photographers. It allows you to modify various parts of your images or projects to get the result you desire.
These plugins are great and I hope you enjoy them. You can also download some of the Adobe recommended plugins for photoshop from their website. Gimp and Photoshop are free alternatives. You might also like Affinity designer, Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, GIMP, Photoshop, and the best logo design software.
Photoshop vs Illustrator: Are they compatible with other Adobe Family Software?
Illustrator is compatible with Inkspace, its open-source cousin. Illustrator supports the SVG format that Inkspace exported. It also supports natively importing “.ai” (Adobe Illustrator files).
Photoshop can import its “.PSD” extension (the extension for the file) to other Adobe apps such as Adobe Illustrator and After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, and its open-source counterpart Gimp.
Illustrator vs Photoshop Comparison table (2022)
|Illustrator vs Photoshop differences|
|First Version||March 1987, Apple Macintosh||February 1990, Windows & macOS|
|Primary Purpose||To “Create” images/illustrations.||To “Modify/Edit” images.|
|Beginner Friendly||Photoshop is not enough||More than Illustrator|
|Plugin Support||Yes. It was started in 1997||Yes. It was started in 1991|
|Selections||Once complete entity||Also allows partial selection|
|Resolution||Similar when zooming in and out||Zooming in and out can cause changes|
|Layers||Multiple objects can be contained in a Layer||A Layer contains copies of one object|
|Mostly used in||Logos, Vector Art, Comic Art, etc.||Photographic and videography manipulations|
|Website||Illustrator page||Photoshop page|
|Illustrator vs Photoshop: Table from TemplateToaster Blog|
Photoshop vs Illustrator: Which is better?
As I close this comparison article, I hope I was able to justify the points in Illustrator vs Photoshop. Both of these website designs softwares are very popular and it is important to compare them so that users can see the differences in their usage, features, and purpose. You can design your website by using different sub-headings such as plugins and purpose. Create a photography website using Good Designing Software and get Website Design Ideas. You can leave feedback about how clear and useful our information was and how it helped you.
It’s all about vector vs. vector
While Photoshop and Illustrator share some similarities, there is one key difference that makes them distinct products. Photoshop is a “raster based” editing program, while Illustrator uses vectors. Illustrator uses pixels to create images. The image is made up of millions of pixels in different colors.
You can zoom in to see individual pixels. However, from far away, they are not easily visible. MS Paint is a raster-based program that many people have used. Vectors are shapes that have perfectly smooth lines. They can be scaled to any size and the lines will still look crisp and clean. Let’s take a closer look at the differences.
The image below shows a zoomed-in view of a Photoshop shape. The pixels are visible along the edges and corners of the black curve. Let’s now take a look at the exact same object as it was created in Illustrator.
The black curve’s edge is perfectly smooth and sharp. It doesn’t matter how close you zoom in on an object. In Illustrator, you will not see pixels. Imagine a canvas to illustrate the differences. Raster can be compared to painting with a brush. Although it looks clean from a distance, the texture and irregularities in the strokes can be seen when you look closer. It is similar to if you cut out shapes from paper and stuck them on the canvas.
You might be surprised to learn that vector and raster have their own file formats. Most likely, you already know the JPG and PNG raster file extensions. Common vector file extensions include AI, EPS and. This is where things get complicated. A Photoshop project that contains layers of text and images can be saved as a PSD. You can save the PSD to Photoshop so that someone else can open it and edit the layers. They can also undo any changes you have made. To make it a final raster image you need to export it as a JPG/PNG. This merges all layers. These changes cannot be reversed.
Illustrator is a different file. An AI file or SVG is the final product and the project file. The vector file contains all layers of text and shapes. An SVG file can be opened by anyone who wants to continue working on the vector. You can also export your Illustrator project as a JPG/PNG, which will combine everything into one flat raster image. Both applications will produce the same result, but the process is different.
Which should you use?
Each version of Illustrator or Photoshop has its strengths and weaknesses. You might be able to use one or the other in certain situations. But they are often used for completely different purposes. There are personal preferences involved. Photoshop can be used to edit and manipulate photos, such as adjusting the white balance, removing red-eye, erasing wrinkles from scanned photos, or creating objects out of photos. If you have an existing image,
Photoshop is the best choice. The primary use of Illustrator is for image creation and logo design. In these cases, it is crucial to be able to scale images and keep the image’s quality. For example, a logo can be used in many different ways. It is important that the person using the logo can easily resize it without damaging it.
There is a difference between Illustrator and Photoshop
The primary difference between ai and photoshop lies in the fact that the first is a vector-graphics-based software better suited to creating logo designs and scalable designs. While photoshop can be used to edit existing designs and work with images, photoshop can be used for editing them.
- AI is more flexible than Photoshop and allows you to work from anywhere.
- Layers in illustrator can contain multiple objects. Photoshop only has one object per layer.
- Adobe Illustrator allows you to use multiple artboards in a single project, while photoshop only allows you to use one canvas.
- Illustrator is a vector-based software that allows you to create sharper and more clear designs than photoshop.
- Photoshop allows you to select an area, but not illustrator which allows you to select objects.
When to Use Illustrator
We now know what the differences are between illustrator and Photoshop. Let’s look at some situations where an illustrator might be the right choice. You can create a design starting from scratch and not need to edit existing images. Illustrator is better than photoshop. Another advantage of an illustrator is its ability to simultaneously work in multiple artboards within the same project.
This tool is great for logo design projects because you can experiment with different logo variations or different color schemes. Illustrator is more versatile than photoshop. You can design vector graphics in illustrator. This is especially important if you have to create elements that are scalable and can be displayed in multiple sizes. Abode Illustrator also has the ability to edit typefaces and convert any kind of text into shapes.
This quality allows you to edit the text in the way you want, stretching, transform or adjusting the anchors. You can use Illustrator to create typography designs. If that is your primary focus, then you should choose Adobe illustrator over photoshop. Illustrator best for design projects like:
- Logo Design
- Design for Identity and Brand
- Typography Design
Photoshop: When to Use
Now that we have figured out when it is best to use Illustrator, let’s see when it is best to use Photoshop. Because this software is pixel-based you will need photoshop if your goal is to work with existing images. Adobe Photoshop is based upon pixel. Because of the large number of editing tools available, photoshop is better than illustrator for editing photos, manipulating pictures, or other photo editing tasks. Many graphic designers use Photoshop to create digital collages.
The tools these software offers are better than Illustrator for editing existing designs. You can also use Photoshop to create digital marketing imagery or banners that require photography. However, you should ensure that the canvas size is correct before you start any design project. If the design is modified after it has been created, it may lose its quality. Photoshop best for design projects like:
- Photo manipulation
- Photo editing
- Digital Marketing Graphics
- Poster Design
- Digital Collage
- Advertising Design
Photoshop vs Illustrator For Drawing
Let’s discuss which software is best for digital drawing: photoshop or illustrator? Both programs excel in their own way. Depending on your preferences, you may feel more at home using one of them. Let’s find out which program is best for drawing. If you want to combine illustration design with photos or draw over photographs, Adobe Photoshop for Drawing is a great option. But, if you want to learn how to draw the back of a head it’s probably best to use Illustrator.
There are many brushes you can use in Photoshop, but Illustrator is the best choice if you want to create illustrations from scratch. Adobe Illustrator’s main focus is on illustration design. The number of tools and brushes available allows you to create any style you like. Illustrator also has the ability to use Adobe illustrator to draw iPad, which lets you design illustrations from anywhere.
Use Photoshop and Illustrator Together
We have already seen that both illustrator and photoshop are great depending on your preferences and the types of projects you will be working on. But there is another option: you can use both programs simultaneously. It is possible to create vector graphics in illustrator, branding elements, and then import them into your poster design in Photoshop. You can also play with the unique functions in photoshop and illustrator by combining them. You can check convert ai to psd.
FAQ – Illustrator vs Photoshop
Can I use Photoshop and Illustrator together?
Yes. Both Illustrator and Photoshop have different ways of handling vector and raster graphics. Both can handle both but are more proficient in one than the other. If you want to have the most control over your projects, you should use both.
Is Photoshop good for logo design?
No. Illustrator’s controls for designing logos are much more suitable.
What application is the best for video?
Photoshop. Photoshop has the tools to create complex assets for motion video, as well as matte paintings or textures for 3D animation software.
What web design tool should I use?
Illustrator. Illustrator has a more user-friendly workflow that is web design-friendly. The organization also makes it easy for web developers to extract assets.
Summary – Illustrator vs Photoshop
This post was helpful and answered your question about photoshop and adobe Illustrator. The answer depends on what type of design project you are working on and the tools and preferences you have. Which program suits you best. These posts will provide you with more graphic design inspiration.
Great article! Both Illustrator and Photoshop play major roles in the animation industry. Various online custom video animation agencies use such tools for custom video animation services.